2020 Regional Gathering (March 20-22): DAMNations 32
Due to concerns over Coronavirus, Governor Mike Dewine has banned all gatherings of more than 100 people in Ohio. As such the RG Committee has made the difficult decision to cancel this years regional gathering.
Important RG Information
2020 Regional Gathering E-Registration is now available!.
Location: DoubleTree Suites by Hilton, 6300 E Kemper Rd, Blue Ash, OH 45241
DoubleTree Blue Ash
6300 E Kemper Rd, Sharonville, OH 45241
(513) 489-3636 (Group Code: DYM ● Group Name: Dayton Area Mensa Gathering 2020)
To-Do List for DAMNations 32 - Lost Cities:
• Submit your RG registration and payment either online or by mail.
• Make your hotel reservation.
• Download the Registration Flier (required if registering by mail).
• Follow the Facebook event for details and breaking news.
• Watch for publication of the complete events schedule and the RG “Mommy Letter” on this site, the Facebook event, and/or your email.
• Arrive at the RG and have a great weekend!
Use the E-Registration page to register and submit payment using PayPal.
Download and fill out the DAMNations 32 Registration Flier . Mail the completed form and a check (payable to “Dayton Mensa RG”) to:
Dayton Regional Gathering Registration
c/o: Melissa Shirley
309 Bending Branch Lane
Miamisburg, OH 45342
Call the DoubleTree Blue Ash at (513) 489-3636 to make your reservations. The group code is DYM for the group name “Dayton Area Mensa Gathering 2020.” The room rate is $109 per night (plus tax). Be sure to make your reservations by February 24, 2020.
It's time for a party!
Hospitality (Meals, Snacks, and Beverages)
In addition to five full meals of “real food,” Dayton's famous 24-hour hospitality suite will have an abundance of sweet, salty, and savory snacks, candy, baked goods, and – yes – even veggies and other healthy snacks to keep you fueled all weekend. Choose from a wide range of liquid refreshment – sodas, coffee, tea, beer, wine, and alcopops.
Snacks will go out around 3 PM on Friday afternoon, and Friday’s dinner is scheduled for 7:00–8:30 pm – so be sure to arrive before dinner!
Our promise: No one will go thirsty or go hungry.
Like a conference or symposium, an RG hosts speakers presenting on variety of topics – anything that a Mensan might be interested in, from scientific discoveries to pop culture. Program chair Gwen Raab and co-chair Lara Kay Schneider have recruited experts and story tellers to fill the weekend with a fascinating line up on topics such as:
• L’Anse Aux Meadows, a Norse archaeological site on Newfoundland island
• Borobudur, a 9th-century Buddhist temple in Central Java, Indonesia - and the largest single temple in the world
• Lost Art of Brewing (Brewing in the 1800s)
• A Murder Mystery (returning for its second year!)
• The 1913 Flood -and- How Osborn and Fairfield, Ohio became Fairborn
• Lost Ancestors: Old records and modern genealogy
• Beer School (also returning for a second year!)
• Lost Culture Regained: Cincinnati’s ‘Over the Rhine’ Historic Neighborhood
The full schedule and program booklet will be made available electronically in advance and in hard copy form at the RG. Stay tuned!
Games and Tournaments
Drake Schneider is organizing tournaments again. Euchre, Double-Deck Cancellation Hearts (DDCH), Wizard, True Greed, and several other tournaments and trivia contests will be on the schedule. You can earn points in each tournament by playing, placing, and/or winning, and the person who earns the most points will receive the Overall Gamer Award!
As always, game rooms will be available 24-7 for pick-up games. We have the massive Region 3 game collection – playing cards, board games, trivia, word games, puzzles, and more. You will find dozens of "familiar favorites" and "new friends waiting to be played" (and new friends waiting to play). Just for DAMNations 32, we are introducing the Lost Cities board game and the Lost Cities card game.
Smart People Like You!
An RG is also a time to socialize. Most regular RG-goers look forward to reuniting with old friends and to making some new ones. DAMNations attendees come from all over, from New York to Texas and from Florida to Toronto. There is no single "type” of person who goes to RGs. They run the gamut of demographics: age, careers, family, education, beliefs, health, politics, and all sorts – all shapes, sizes, and social comfort levels. An RG is a great time to meet some of them.
Is This Your First RG?
It can take a leap of faith to attend your first RG, especially if you haven't attended many (or any!) Dayton Area Mensa events. We do our best to make it easy. Melissa Shirley is the RG Registrar, and she is used to introducing people around. Plenty of volunteers will make sure you know where to find the food, games, and programs. Some experienced RG attendees will be attending Dayton’s RG for their first time, and every RG is different. So, do not worry about being “the new person” or about asking questions. (We love questions.) If this will be your first RG, you might have some questions about what to bring and what to expect. In no particular order, here are some useful tidbits:
• When you get to the hotel, registration will be in the hallway
• Dress is casual. Most people wear jeans, but you're free to wear anything you're comfortable in.
• All food and beverages are included. You won't need any money beyond the registration fee.
• Registering on-line helps the Hospitality team know how much food to buy, but we love our walk-ins, too!
• Hospitality opens at 3:00 Friday afternoon. There will be heavy snacks available from then until the RG closes Sunday early afternoon.
• There will be a program book with information about the scheduled programs and speakers.
• There's an ice cream social.
• Information about the programs and the menu will be posted on the DAMNations 32 event on Facebook.
• Jigsaw puzzles and coloring books are not just for children.
• You can register on line: Click here.
• It's always okay to ask to join a conversation or a game. It may seem like many people know each other, but about half are just meeting for the first time, and they want to meet you, too!