2021 Virtual Regional Gathering
E-Registration is now available!
All events will be held on Zoom.
That's right... An RG!! We may not be able to "Gather" as planned, but we shall not be deterred! Please join us for Dayton's first virtual RG (vRG) the last weekend of March. Other than non-stop food, we have all the traditional elements of an RG: interesting speakers, games, tournaments, trivia, puzzles, and of course, socializing with your favorite Mensans!
We want everyone to be able to attend, so registration is donation based for adults, and ALL youth (under 18) are FREE. So come on(line) for an adventure with us as we explore the Lost Cities of the world!
Registered participants will receive a link to a website with the vRG program – the schedule of events, program descriptions (with links to Zoom), speaker bios, etc. Half of donations will be used for the DAM scholarship fund, while the remainder will be used for chapter activities such as member recruiting and hosting the 2022 RG. (We already have a hotel contract!)
To-Do List for DAMNations 32 - Lost Cities:
• Either register online or, to register by mail, download the Registration Flier
• Follow the Facebook event for details and breaking news.
• Watch for publication (email) of the complete events schedule and some instructions for attendees (aka. the “Mommy Letter”).
• Go to the DAM vRG website and have a great weekend!
Use the E-Registration page to register. If you would like, make a donation to Dayton Area Mensa using PayPal.
Download and fill out the DAMNations 32 Registration Flier . Mail the completed form with optional donation to:
Dayton Regional Gathering Registration
c/o: Melissa Shirley
309 Bending Branch Lane
Miamisburg, OH 45342
Dayton is famous for its hospitality – full meals plus an abundance of sweet, salty, savory – and even healthy – snacks to keep you fueled all weekend. For the vRG, we will have a virtual hospitality suite open 24/7 where you can meet with other Mensans between scheduled programs, games, and other activities.
Like a conference or symposium, an RG hosts speakers presenting on variety of topics – anything that a Mensan might be interested in, from scientific discoveries to pop culture. Program chair Gwen Raab and co-chair Lara Kay Schneider have recruited experts and story tellers to fill the weekend with a fascinating line up on topics such as:
• L’Anse Aux Meadows – A Norse archaeological site on Newfoundland island
• Borobudur – 9th-century Buddhist temple in Indonesia and the largest single temple in the world
• The 1913 Flood -and- How Osborn and Fairfield, Ohio became Fairborn
• A Murder Mystery (returning for its second year!)
• Lost Cities in Comic Books
• The History of the Xenia Tornado
• Scavenger Hunt
• A live recording of the podcast Relentless Geekery!
• A Gifted Youth Track with its own games & activities
The full schedule and program “book” will be made available electronically in advance. Stay tuned!
Games and Tournaments
Online games today are fantastic! We look forward to Euchre, Double-Deck Cancellation Hearts (DDCH), Dominion, Jackbox Games, custom Kahoot! trivia, and several other tournaments and trivia contests. You can earn points in each tournament by playing, placing, and/or winning, and the person who earns the most points will receive the Overall Gamer Award!
Physical game rooms are typically available 24-7 for pick-up games. In that spirit, we encourage attendees to arrange their own games throughout the weekend.
Smart People Like You!
An RG is also a time to socialize. Most regular RG-goers look forward to reuniting with old friends and to making some new ones. DAMNations attendees come from all over, from New York to Texas and from Florida to Toronto. There is no single "type” of person who goes to RGs. They run the gamut of demographics: age, careers, family, education, beliefs, health, politics, and all sorts – all shapes, sizes, and social comfort levels. An RG is a great time to meet some of them.
Is This Your First RG?
It can take a leap of faith to attend your first RG, especially if you haven't attended many (or any!) in-person events. We do our best to make it easy, and the year we hope the online environment makes it possible for even the most reticent.
If this will be your first RG, you might have some questions. Every RG is different, and this will be the first Dayton RG or first virtual RG for many folks. So, do not worry about being “the new person” or about asking questions. (We love questions.) Here are some useful tidbits:
• The Hospitality Zoom room will open 5 p.m. on Friday. Presentations, games, and socializing will continue until Sunday around 1 p.m.
• There will be an event agenda published online with information about the scheduled programs and speakers.
• Additional information will be posted on the DAMNations 32 event on Facebook as the weekend approaches.
• Jigsaw puzzles and coloring books are not just for children.
• You can register on line: Click here.
• It's always okay to ask to join a conversation or a game. It may seem like many people know each other, but about half are just meeting for the first time, and they want to meet you, too!